Sunday 1 August 2010







Today is now Sunday and I have left Tam Ky. I can't believe how upset I was to be leaving. I hadn't realised how attached I had become to everyone there - children, fellow volunteers and GVN employees including the interpreters.
I am now in Ho Chi Minh City and it is pouring with rain. Leigh is here too as her flight is not until early tomorrow morning, my flight is tomorrow evening.
I am going to take time to post a lot of my photos from last week. It has been an unbelievably busy week. The Youth Tour are here - teenagers from various countries. We have been having our meals at their hotel so it was a lot of coming and going. GVN staff have been stretched because of this especially Mrs Hahn and Grandma who have been doing all the cooking.
I also have been busy spending the fundraised money. Ly Chau - our placement manager at Tam Ky has been amazing helping with buying resources. She has taken me to the market and various other places to buy school resources, uniforms, sandals, hats, school bags etc.
Mr Huong our driver used to be a carpenter and made shelves for the classroom at the Baby Orphanage. I bought some dictionaries, atlases , world globe for this. He also put up the new basketball hoop and painted it at the Home of Affection.
A new baby arrived at the Baby Orphanage last week - she was only six days old when she arrived. She is very tiny and the Mothers are doing a good job looking after her as are the volunteers who are giving her lots of cuddles. Picture of Ly Chau (placement manager holding new baby).
At the Baby Orphanage they have mosquito net cages which cover the young babies and one of the boys who has special needs. These are great!
I bought a keyboard and for the first few days I stuck it to a small table with tape so that it would stay here. The kids loved it. A lot of them liked listening to the demo music (Linda I really needed duck tape for this!).

No comments:

Post a Comment